UK Passivhaus Awards shortlisted projects announced
The shortlist for the UK Passivhaus Awards 2015 has been revealed, with projects ranging from substantial new schools, one off houses, and energy upgrades to block of flats. Sponsored by Kingspan, Munster Joinery and Ecology Building Society, the awards are organised by the Passivhaus Trust and supported by Advantage Austria and Passive House Plus Magazine.
Scroll down for an image gallery of the shortlisted projects.
This year's awards aim to celebrate the design and performance of passive houses in the UK. They highlight that the passive house standard can be used on any building type to create beautiful buildings that address health and well-being, energy efficiency and occupant comfort issues.
Small projects (sponsored by Kingspan)
Prewett Bizley Architects
A detached low-energy home built to Passivhaus Standard, nestled at the foot of a wooded hill on the edge of a Somerset Village.
A reinterpretation of the traditional farmstead. Materials, form and proportion are in harmony with the region; culminating in a vibrant home with a distinct sense of place.
- Cr8 Barn, Green Building Store Cr8 Barn, Green Building Store
- Dundon Passivhaus, Prewett Bizley Architects Dundon Passivhaus, Prewett Bizley Architects
- Erneley Close, R-Gen Erneley Close, R-Gen
- Grosvenor EnerPHit rentals, Sturgis Carbon Profiling Grosvenor EnerPHit rentals, Sturgis Carbon Profiling
- Steel Farm, LEAP Steel Farm, LEAP
- Admirals Hard, WARM Admirals Hard, WARM
- Wilkinson Primary School, Architype Wilkinson Primary School, Architype
- STEM Building, University of Bradford STEM Building, University of Bradford
Large projects (sponsored by Munster Joinery)
A regeneration of two dilapidated blocks of flats in one of the poorest parts of Manchester, with EnerPHit as a mechanism for creating a sustainable low carbon community.
University of Bradford
A new build multi-use lab space with associated prep rooms to promote science, technology, engineering and mathematics at the University.
Wilkinson Primary School
A 2nd generation passive house primary school that takes the brief beyond necessary requirements. The design addresses future needs of a 21st century learning environment with various innovations to improve performance & sustainability.
Retrofit (sponsored by Ecology Building Society)
Conversion of a 1st floor flat into an EnerPHit office, and extensive retrofit of the whole building, which includes a ground floor shop.
Green Building Store
Retrofit with a super-insulated timber frame structure built inside the existing building to preserve the appearance of the cow byre.
Grosvenor EnerPHit rentals
Sturgis Carbon Profiling
2 bed, historic terraced houses that acheived first privately rented EnerPHit criteria in London. Pilot projects have set precedence for many more to come from Grosvenor.
- Solecco Solar launches new solar roof tiles
- An avoidable tragedy: questions for the public inquiry on Grenfell Tower
- Consider decentralised MVHR for passive retrofits & small dwellings — Sustainable Homes Scotland
- Airflow adds VAV control to its commercial MVHR range
- UK’s first energy-positive classroom opens its doors
- Naked house launches low cost passive for charity & community groups